Friday, August 24, 2018

Exploration Two - Michael Griffith

   
This is me after graduation :)
     Hello classmates, my name is Michael Griffith and I am looking forward to taking this course with you this semester. I am majoring in accounting and will start courses in Spanish next semester. I graduated from Pleasant High School in Marion, Ohio. There my friends and I started a book club that I continued with throughout high school. I was also very involved in Spanish in high school. My favorite subject is actually math, which is part of the reason why I am taking accounting.
     I was inspired by the reading we had in The Curious Writer, it was an interesting start to our course. What stood out to me the most was the theme of not only writing to communicate, but writing to discover and maybe learn new things in the process. In my Active Reading I wrote down the phrase 'it is okay to write badly'. This was something new to me. It means that instead of trying to find all the right words and make the writing perfect, we should first just write down what we feel and fix it all later if needed. The process of becoming a good writer starts with becoming a bad one.

6 comments:

  1. You said that you are majoring in accounting, but also have an interest in Spanish. Are you considering possibly having Spanish as a minor, or even a dual major?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think I'm going to minor in Spanish. It didn't fit in my schedule this year but I really enjoy learning Spanish.

      Delete
  2. It fascinates me how writing can help you discover new things about yourself. As you continue to write it weird how phrases and words that you hadn't thought about before begin to suddenly pour themselves out onto the page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way. When writing we somehow come up with things that aren't necessarily the words that we would say out loud.

      Delete
  3. Was there one certain book that made you want to start that book club and just stayed with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There wasn't a particular book, but I've always loved reading. My favorite author is Cassandra Clare. She is the one who wrote the books that the TV show Shadowhunters is based off of.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Responding to Fresh

Author Michael Pollan says "Cheap food is an illusion" about halfway through the film Fresh . Using evidence from the film and you...