Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Exploration 5 - Michael Griffith

     In my reading of chapter five, I read a very interesting point about the way we make decisions. The writer said that "many of our evaluations have a lot more to do with emotion than logic." He explained that even though we think we make our decisions to buy something based on fact, we more base our decisions on how we feel. He goes on to say that in order to write a good review, we have to be more objective and put our feelings aside when evaluating something. He also wrote that we constantly need to question whether our beliefs about something are valid and able to be proven with facts. This gave good insight into how people make decisions every day.
     I loved the review of "A Christmas Story" by Roger Ebert. He is able to truly capture all the great things about that movie in his review. I noticed at the end of his review that a review can actually explain a larger topic similarly to a profile. Ebert says that "A Christmas Story" shows how America used to be, in a way it was a simpler time. He explains how people forget about the things that happened in the past and move on to other things without really looking back.
     Everyone uses reviews in their own life, and I use reviews all the time. I review movies and video games and book and just about anything I decide to purchase. It's important to hear the opinions of others before blindly purchasing something. People write reviews on products they have bought in order to help other people out, and it would be a waste if no one read them. I remember one time in my book club we used reviews from other people for a different reason. We read other people's reviews of Fangirl: A Novel by Rainbow Rowell after we had actually read the book. We discussed the opinions of other people online and debated them and compared them with our own opinions. We were able to gain insight into the book through reading these reviews. We also had a lot of fun reading the bad reviews because the way people worded some things was hilarious to us. We would read reviews before picking each book as well, but just reading some reviews make for a great time in book club.
Here is the cover of Fangirl: A Novel by Rainbow Rowell
   

2 comments:

  1. I also found it interesting that we make decisions less logically than we would like to believe. Some people may believe that one brand provides higher quality than another, but in reality they may just be attached to the idea of the brand. In fact, the two products may be exactly the same except for the logos stamped onto them. I would like to become more logical when making buying decisions, but it seems difficult because often we do not know when we are acting based on feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Christine, although in Western sociey, logos and brands are what most people tend to buy instead of the smaller/no brand items when thinking of purchases only to show off they can afford or they have those items. People gain interest in certain products because of trends. They don’t need hover boards, but since the trend is to have one, they get one. These feelings we have in ‘wanting to fit in’ especially in younge people, is a great factor in companies and marketers to advertise their product to them. The quality may be trash, and I may sell it on eBay after a week, but hey, it’ll get me talking around the area.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Responding to Fresh

Author Michael Pollan says "Cheap food is an illusion" about halfway through the film Fresh . Using evidence from the film and you...