If I had to compare this band to other artists or bands, which I really do not think is possible, I would choose to compare them to Led Zeppelin. Both bands have mostly soothing, calm songs but have some that are more intense. Both bands are great at telling stories through their music. Some of Pink Floyd's songs have no lyrics because the music speaks for itself. Led Zeppelin also has a few songs without lyrics but, I do not find them to be as well composed as those by Pink Floyd. Both belong to The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, therefore both bands are truly great and it comes to personal preference on which style and vocals each person prefers.
![]() |
| The album cover from 1979. |
The most famous song by Pink Floyd is Another Brick In The Wall (parts 1, 2, and 3). This is off of the album they are most well known for, The Wall. This song tells a sad story. The song (part 1) begins in the perspective of a young boy whose father has left him. the line "Daddy what did you leave behind for me?" is filled with emotion. The lead singer sings this line with the frustration and anger of a child who had a parent leave with no explanation, no more than a "snapshot in the family album". The second part of the song is about the boy in school. This begins with a paradox, which is part of the chorus of the song. Children sing "we don't need no education" because the children are receiving "thought control" and "dark sarcasm". The song conveys the message that schools weren't what they should have been. The line "all in all its just another brick in the wall" explains that all of these things occurring in this boy's life are adding up and creating a figurative wall of separation between the boy and everyone else. The third part of the song goes back to just the boy's perspective. The lead singer is in a state of denial. He sings about not needing "arms around" him or "drugs to calm" him. He believes that he has had a self-awakening and that he is where he needs to be.
The song:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9d72n2fX6g
Word count: 460

Clara, I really enjoyed reading your blog post! Although I am not a fan of all of Pink Floyd's music, I do enjoy a few songs. You mentioned that some of their songs are soothing and calm whereas others are more intense. I think that I definitely prefer the more soothing, calm-type music.
ReplyDeleteI like both both Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, and think the comparison between them was a good idea. They aren't completely similar but have a same essence in their music.
ReplyDeleteGreat band. Don’t think they are nearly as good as Zeppelin (my favorite band of all time), but they are good nonetheless. They have a strangely chill atmosphere. I think its something in the vocals.
ReplyDelete