In Chapter 5,
Writing a Review, I observed that judgment and emotion are considered more than logic. It is true that reviews have more to do with an opinion rather than a logical answer as people want to show their perspectives on things. I find that it is better to use judgment than logic because if we bought things based on our logic, we wouldn't enjoy it. In Seth's review of
Grand Theft Auto Takes on New York, he reviews the game in his own perspective and judgment. Someone who does not enjoy violence and theft might not enjoy this game a lot and say that it is good but might be too violent for gamers. As Seth has clocked almost 60 hours playing GTAIV, I would definitely trust him(even though I clocked more hours) rather than a non-gamer reviewing the game. A non-gamer might have just used logic to review the game and might have given a boring answer that doesn't have to do anything with the game. I believe that judgment is an essential part of writing a review. Another observation I made was that reviewers can make a really cool or funny persona as part of their writing. A lot of youtuber online who review have these personalities that engage their audience for their review of products. I feel like language matters a lot in terms of reviews and using certain personas definitely helps the tone and mood of it.
 |
| LinusTechTips changed my opinion about buying PCs by showing how easy it is to build it. |
I mainly used reviews for deciding on what movies to watch or what video games to buy. For the video games part, I usually see the gameplay as well on youtube. A reviewer that changed my opinion was LinusTechTips. He was more of a pc building support than a reviewer but he changed my opinion on buying a pc. He convinced me that building a pc was more enjoyable and cheaper. It made me learn more as well. Now, I only build pcs and get the parts from microcenter as it is not that far away. I even learned about water cooling and overclocking because of LinusTechTips.
You stated that, " As Seth has clocked almost 60 hours playing GTAIV, I would definitely trust him(even though I clocked more hours) rather than a non-gamer reviewing the game. A non-gamer might have just used logic to review the game and might have given a boring answer that doesn't have to do anything with the game." Do you personally believe that someone that is more familiar with a game would write a better review than someone that you're just introducing to the game?
ReplyDeleteOn the first page the challenge of avoiding feelings and keeping an open mind is presented. Do you think that an author's familiarity with what is being reviewed could lead to there being a more bias review compared to someone who hasn't had much experience with the product?
I agree with you, using logic to strategically review products to someone who is considering on buying that product overweight's our value in that review. Logical reviews seem to be something for other reviews to asses their review skills on, but personal connections and reflections on regular people are what I am many gravitate to. It shows the connection because they are an average person who is like us.
ReplyDeleteYes I agree with you about the logic reviews. Some reviews I saw for the video games are just one star and with a common “I don’t like it” or “Don’t buy it” without any reason why. That’s the part it drives me crazy and make me think people just do this to ruin one product’s reviews. So I would scroll down to the one with most details and logic one and see if this game worth to buy
ReplyDeleteI really enjoy YouTube as a form of reviews, I know its not traditional but I like hearing what someone has to say verbally. Wouldn’t you rather watch and listen a review then read a written one? I get side tracked, so I like the fact you also watch YouTube reviews.
ReplyDelete